Friday 25 July 2008

Crime and punishment

I have been thinking about something lately and just want to share... As a regular habit I read newspaper and all around there are news of crimes.. and I wonder do we really have a better system today as compared to our forefathers to stop crime or rather to stop criminals. As a matter of fact this is highly debatable because I don't know what was the crime rate at that time or is it just the information overflow that makes me aware of all the crimes.. but still let me share my thought..

Well some time back I was reading an article on criminal psychology which argued that punishment can not stop crime rather it just motivates the criminal to evade it.. And the current situation is very much like that only, criminals evade punishments..

So I was thinking If we can design a punishment that can not be evaded and then I thought of GOD, and imagined that our ancestors must have been really intelligent to come up with the concept that If some one commits a crime he would be punished by GOD.. Here I am not arguing whether the GOD exists or not but If somehow this notion of crimes being punished by GOD can be imbibed into everybody.. maybe they will not commit the crime... because they can no longer evade the punishment..

Lastly I wold like to refer to the incidents of humans trying to evade even the divine punishment for sins by bribing priests, holding rituals and so on and so forth.. Though I am not concluding anything but just think if the origin of the concept of GOD is just a plan of our ancestors to design a punishment that nobody can evade ...

2 comments:

Ashish said...

Good analysis...I definitely think the origin revolves around the concept of FAITH..

A said...

Your Blog has been felicitated! (By Me!) Badhai Ho...Acknowledge it, Link it and pass the badge on to 8 of your favs blogs :)

See my post for details!