Thursday 25 June 2009

Moving to Jaunty Jackalope

My upgrade manager was prompting from some time about Ubuntu's new release 9.04. So last week I decide to go ahead and install it. The upgrade process was really smooth and no hard work for me. All the packages were downloaded and I was informed about the my configurations. Bottom line everything was neat.

After the upgrade process, I was told that Upgrade is successful and I need to reboot. So I rebooted the machine. Now comes the twist in the tale, On restart the whole screen garbled out like early 80's DD when there was no signal. There was no login screen nothing just strange color patterns. This was really scary because I did not have any backup and though this is a dual boot machine and I can recover data easily, but just the thought of reverting back to XP and reinstalling ubuntu would be a real pain.

After contemplating for half an hour, I decide to give a shot to ubuntu forums. Within 6 minutes of posting my query(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1186225), I got the reply and after 30 min of exercise Jaunty Jackalope was up and running on my m/c. What an awesome feeling.

A zillion thanks to ubuntu forums and by god they are quick. You get a response almost instantaneously. Kudos to ubuntu community.

No comments: